Typically this dish would be made with a rack of lamb as opposed to individual chops, but alas I didn’t have any readily available. Of course, lamb’s best friend is Mint but I decided not to include it in the crust this time, as I feel it somewhat steals the coolness of the mint. Instead I’d recommend adding mint sauce to the already crusted lamb, and swapping out Rosemary or sage.
As for the hash browns – these are traditional, wonderfully rustic hash browns. That’s why they don’t look like the McDoodle’s breakfast treats.
For the Lamb…
- Lamb Chops
- Fresh Breadcrumbs
- Sheeps Cheese (or hard goats cheese)
- Mustard Seeds
- Olive Oil
For the Hash Browns…
- Fresh Potato
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- Grate the potato and place in a bowl. Fill the bowl with water and squeeze the potato with your hands until the water turns cloudy. Drain and repeat until the water is clear – this is VITAL for achieving the crispiness of the hash browns, you need to get rid of the starch.
- Now you need to dry the potatoes – wrap in a cloth and squeeze even more, until it’s as dry as possible. By all means spread out and air dry if you have extra time.
- Melt a large chunk of butter in a pan until it’s sizzling, then add the grated potato and leave to stand. After a few minutes stir the potato up so the lesser cooked sides are on the bottom. Repeat this step until the potato is as cooked as you like. In the several minute gaps, get to work on the lamb.
- In a chopper or food processor, combine the breadcrumbs, garlic clove, herbs and sheeps cheese, then pour over the oil and mix thoroughly until the mixture holds its shape when squeezed.
- Sear the lamb in a pan for a minute or two on each side until browned.
- Using your hands, coat the lamb with the breadcrumb mixture until well covered.
- Bake in the oven until crust is browned and the meat is cooked.
- Serve on top of the hash browns.
Serving and Storage
Top the mixture with mint sauce (unfortunately I didn’t have any), and serve with any vegetables or gravies you enjoy.
Storage? What are you doing? Eat immediately!