Cola truly is a versatile drink, lending itself to anything from Mint-based explosions to street cleaning. Did you know, however, that it also creates one of the easiest, tastiest, stickiest BBQ sauces you could make at home? You do now.
Funnily enough, this recipe works with Diet Cola, despite its lack of sugar. Exactly why it still gets sticky and thick I’ve yet to discover, but hey – I won’t complain!
- Chicken on the Bone
- Cola/Diet Cola
- Crushed garlic
- Herb – Rosemary/Oregano complement the BBQ flavour nicely
- Measure and mix the cola and ketchup to a ratio of around 2:3, then add the garlic and herbs.
- Season your chicken.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and fry the chicken for a couple of minutes, just to help the outside seal a little.
- Pour over the cola/ketchup mix and simmer on a low-medium heat for around 30 minutes.
- When the chicken seems cooked, remove and place under a grill for a further 5 minutes or so, to ensure the coating really sticks on well. Continue cooking the sauce in this time. When the chicken is browned to your liking, serve.
Serving and Storage
These can be served within the sauce itself for an extra sticky/messy treat, or with the sauce spooned over atop a bed of salad. Throw on some usual BBQ flavours and don’t forget the cola on the side!
The chicken will keep a few days in the fridge, the sauce probably significantly longer, though I wouldn’t exceed a month.