This is one of those glorious examples of a recipe I thought up one night while going to sleep, though “hmm, might work okay,” and then it exceeded all expectations. I will be making this a LOT more.
The cool, refreshing coconut balanced by the milder sweet potato flavour with a little sweet chili sauce – I can only describe it as being like a Tikka Masala sauce in burger form. You simply must try these – the smell, the taste, the texture all work together phenomenally. And it brings a little summer back to your kitchen!
- Sweet Potato
- Desiccated Coconut
- Plan Cous Cous
- Chili paste/powder
- Ground Cumin
- Cut the sweet potato into chunks and boil in salted water. Peel if you like, but I think the skin adds flavour.
- Fry some onion with a little salt and sugar until they brown.
- In a bowl combine desiccated coconut, cumin, chopped coriander and chili. You want about 1/3 cup per potato, but feel free to add more.
- Drain and mash the sweet potato.
- Add the sweet potato and onion to the coconut mixture, then add roughly the same volume of cooked cous cous.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto a board and your hands, then form the mixture into patties.
- Fry until the outside has sealed and browned a little.
Serving and Storage
These go great with a little cool mayonnaise and sweet chili sauce in a bun, with the regular burger salad. A little feta or mozarella to top wouldn’t go amiss either!
These will keep in the fridge for 5 days or so, wrapped in cling film.