Scotch Eggs are perhaps the greatest picnic food ever made. The delicious, multi-layered treat with savoury sausage, a gorgeously soft egg and that crunchy exterior. Eat them hot or cold, as part of a meal or as a snack, breakfast, lunch or dinner. This particular version utilises the deep, gorgeous richness of black pudding to enhance the outer sausage casing and elevate the whole thing to an even higher, more decadent standard.
Perhaps the most important step in the entire process is to dunk those eggs into cold water! This is a trick I learned during my time at a London pie shop – it halts the cooking process and keeps that egg yolk perfectly gooey. It also makes them a hell of a lot easier to peel, since you’re not burning your hands off.
Ingredients – Per Scotch Egg
- 1 Large egg – preferably with a bright orange yolk PLUS another egg for the eggwash (this will go far)
- 2 large sausages
- 1-1.5 slices of black pudding
- Breadcrumbs – preferably panko
- Flavourless oil
- Optional mint sprig garnish
- Optional black cherry jam for dipping